Nursing Home NEglect
Nursing homes and skilled-care facilities are heavily regulated by State and Federal Law. Comprehensive Care Plans are required by 42 C.F.R. 483.20 and are to completed following a comprehensive assessment upon admission. Based on the comprehensive assessment of a resident, the facility must ensure that:
- A resident who enters the facility without pressure sores does not develop pressure sores unless the individual’s clinical condition demonstrates that they were unavoidable; and
- A resident having pressure sores receives necessary treatment and services to promote healing, prevent infection and prevent new sores from developing.
Nursing and personal care services mandated by OAC 310:675-91.1 further require basic nursing care including but not limited to:
- Providing proper skin care to prevent skin breakdown.
- Providing proper body alignment.
- Providing supportive devices to promote proper alignment and positioning.
- Turning bed residents every two hours or as needed to prevent pressure areas, contractures, and decubitus sores.